Followers

Monday 8 June 2015

Granny


It was getting dark as I hurried past the bakery, into the dark, almost desolate alley that led to my rented room in Campbell street. As I was passing, a whiff of wind blew the fragrance of a freshly made chocolate mousse towards me. “Here’s a helping of nicey tasty chocolatey chocolate mousse for princess Roselle!” Granny said as she placed the bone china platter before me. I attacked it instantly, and within minutes, the platter was bare, and my little mouth bordered with chocolate. “Excuse me, could you please clear the way?” An elderly man coughed as I realised I was blocking the pavement. “I’m sorry.” I moaned, and resumed the slow, weary walk back to the place I now called ‘home’.
Lost dollhouse in tears
A February evening
Déjà vu returns
She died of a heart attack two years back. All that remains is this reminiscence that still lingers within my heart. Wherever I go, she will always live in my heart. Those neat little pigtails she’d make out of my hair, those fairytales she told me every night, those lullabyes, delicious cakes, cookies, brownies, the little blankets, cowls and sweaters she used to knit for me…everything seems just as alive as I am in this moment. Where did those paper boats sail away? When did the snowflakes melt? I wonder if she misses me from heaven, but I wish I could hold her hand once more.
Broken mason jar
Fireflies still hover at night
The chill of summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment