Followers

Tuesday 23 August 2016

One Minute of Silence

One minute of silence to pray for my soul, and that's all you can offer me?
What about the dreams I couldn't see coming true? What about the things I still had to tell my loved ones? Oh right, why does it matter to you anyway? By the time I scream out in pain, you have already done your part: Stayed silent for a minute to pray for my soul.
And then, you stirred back into motion, glad that the condolence was over for good. You left the place with your friends, probably expressing a sadness that you didn't really have, because how am I related to you anyway?
Yes, it hurts. It hurts to see so much apathy disguised as sympathy among people who would rather be watching a movie with their friends than stand there, keeping their mouths shut, while a whole host of thoughts whizz past their minds. It hurts to see how my existence fades away like camphor; how I become the toast of the town for a day or two and then disappear from everyone's heart all of a sudden.
Some will say how close they were to me, how hard it is for them to cope with this loss. My family will shed tears and wish I were there with them. And I will desperately want to tell them not to cry, to take care of themselves and live their lives as they normally would. Can your one minute of silence help my desperation?
Alas! All you can do is keep mum for sixty seconds and forget about me. But if you were me, would you not say a word?

No comments:

Post a Comment