Followers

Thursday 9 February 2017

Fiction Fragment #2: An Artist's Valentine

“Rose day, Propose day, Chocolate day…” they count, and my mind wanders off. They giggle as they talk about their boyfriends, each teasing and getting teased. They notice that I’m a little disengaged, and one of them asks, “How many chocolates did you get, eh?” I smile wryly and shrug. “I have some important work to do. I’ll catch you guys later, okay?” I say, and walk away towards the street.
I’m back in the days when I had no idea what they mean by Valentine’s week. I’m just fifteen—a schoolgirl, and a brilliant one. The wind doesn’t have the February chill to it; it’s a warm September afternoon, and I’m with the whole class in the field—the boys playing cricket and the girls walking around, talking , or maybe just hopping and skipping. From where I and my girlfriends stand talking, I can see him wave to his friends. His eyes are shining in the amber sunlight, and his voice is ringing like music in my ears. I don’t know I’m falling in love; I just know he is one of the most beautiful creations of God I could ever see. While I watch him from a distance, I forget that I’ve not done well in the viva this morning. All I feel is an inexplicable joy, which tries to burst out through my eyes, but somehow I manage to keep my composure. At night, I dream that I’m in heaven, and God shows me my seat beside him. The next morning, my mother tells me I’d been smiling in my sleep.
“Hello! How’ve you been?” someone calls out to me as I pass a group of youngsters on my way home. I recognise my old schoolmates and my eyes immediately scan every face till they rest on his eyes. He’s the same—hazel eyed, shy, quiet. My heart does not beat fast; I feel an inexplicable calmness and tranquillity in his presence. I exchange trivialities with all of them, and at last, turn to him. “So, how’s the week going on?” I ask. He gives a shy smile and says, “Nothing much, just jamming and road-tripping with these guys.” I nod. “And you?” he adds, perhaps in an attempt to look less shy.
And me? I’m writing poems for you, reading your favourite paperbacks and wishing I could share them with you, dreaming of you every single night! I’ve lit a candle for you every Christmas ever since I met you: I’ve been in love with you for the past seven years, and isn’t it funny I’ve never told you? You know, they talk about getting roses and chocolates in Valentine’s week, and I feel so dumb when I can’t explain that my love for you is not about roses and chocolates, or about being boyfriend and girlfriend, or wanting to get married and have children. It’s about freedom, and passion, and immortality. I don’t want to claim you as mine, I want you to fly high, without the guilt of knowing that you’re not giving yourself to me. You know, if an artist falls in love with you, you can never die! And really, I won’t let you die. That’s how much I love you, no matter where you are, no matter who you are with, no matter what you do. You may think me insane, but isn’t that what the world called the great lovers of all time? I wish I could say all this, but I simply blush, and say “Well, the same old things, you know, painting and stuff.”

At home, his portrait is still wet on my easels, waiting to be impressed upon the pages of history while I plan to have it framed on V-day. I won’t sign my name below, but I know I will mutter under my breath, “Happy Valentine’s Day, my love!”, as I send it off to be auctioned for children in Aleppo.

No comments:

Post a Comment