Followers

Friday 30 December 2016

Reflections at the End of the Year

And so, this year too, has come to its end. In the few remaining hours of 2016, all I can do is remember the entire year, and hope for the next year to be better. I know this very moment is passing, slipping away into the valley of the bygone eternity. And yet, some infinities are larger than others. For me, 2016 has been an infinity of moments that never before came, and never will again.
To begin the year with, I won medals at the College Week Cultural Programme. I think it was a great experience to participate and win gold in all of the sections that I’m strong in. There were bolts from the blue, and new people entered my life like plot twists in a mystery novel. My circle of friends gradually shapeshifted, but one person remained constant—Oishee, my soul-sister. And it’s obvious, because we’re connected by the innermost spark of life within us.
I turned twenty, and spent my first birthday without my mom. It was kinda off-tune because what with advance celebrations and pizza boxes, the real day was out of importance. The month of March was a month of relief for me and my family, because a seemingly permanent burden was alleviated off our hearts and lives. I received my 1st semester results, and to be honest, I was not really satisfied because I knew I could do better. I got a guru in my musical journey, and I must say it is quite a wonderful experience. And this marked the beginning of several journeys to Guwahati, in pursuit of music.
I was away from home for the first time for a duration of four days, as I was taken to Gauhati University for the inter-college Youth Festival, where I won two gold medals in Indian classical and Western vocals respectively, and a bronze medal in semi-classical vocals. I also had a share of the silver medal we won for the chorus. When I returned, I was welcomed by a new companion in my journey of music—my Swarmandal. The 36-stringed beauty stole my heart the moment I saw it, and my musical life was elevated to a new level. I appeared for the web auditions of Indian Idol season 9 and was sent further instructions after I was selected, but again, my priority goes to studies. I had to let the opportunity go, for better ones to come.
I lost, or rather succeeded in disconnecting myself from some negative people who seemed immovable from my life. It was immense relief and at the same time impended the entry of new immovables, since nature does not allow the existence of vacuums for too long. I was lost again, in the tumult of my own thoughts. I was torn between two selves who spoke completely opposing things, and as happens with the young mind that has been stubbornly, mandatorily dictated through such situations without the insight that it might have to decide amidst such tumult on its own, I succumbed to the waves that carried me away from my desire. But then, all was not lost, for it was not long before I realised that I was mistaken, and I persistently made attempts to rectify my mistakes. It was difficult, what with the turmoil between want and need, but I succeeded in facing the truth. I discovered things about myself I never knew, and this year has contributed in making me a person I never knew I’d become. My priorities have changed, my ideas have changed, and my entire outlook has changed. Some things, however, have only undergone a Romantic Revolution, since they have only become what they were in my ‘good old days’.
With these reflections on the past year, I hope the coming year brings me more success, more good people, more opportunities and more experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment